Monday, January 16, 2017

Cattle Car: a very old story

MacMurphy Publishing
Cattle Car


Mickey MacMurphy
10/3/2013


Word Count: Approximately 2,700




Cattle Car: (Nov 13th/03)
          Another day, another fifty cents after taxes. That’s what I was thinking to myself the first time I saw him. Of course, at that time, he was just another face, just another person waiting for the train to arrive, to ferry us to our destinations, jobs and offices. It was a chilly, January morning and, as I stood and shivered on the train platform, the wind seemed determined to rob what little heat I possessed. I shrank into my parka, watching him whistling cheerfully, greeting people who passed close, and found myself vaguely annoyed. Anyone this cheerful, this early in the morning, must, by definition, be crazy.
          Shortly, but not soon enough, the train pulled up and I joined the crowd in jostling and pushing my way aboard. I wasn’t lucky today; I was stuck where I’d have to get off at every stop to let someone off, stuck between the door and a massively fat lady. Was this the modern equivalent of being stuck between a rock and a hard place? I didn’t know and wasn’t awake enough to care.
The man I’d noticed who seemed so cheerful, was standing nearby, wedged between a cold plastic railing and the teeming masses of humanity. He caught my eye and then winked and smiled. I looked away, shuffling my feet somewhat uncomfortably. What, was he gay or something? No one made eye contact on the crowded train, at least not deliberately. Instead, they buried their noses in books, magazines, newspapers. Instead, they gazed out the window at industrial wasteland, some even bringing pillows to catch those precious few moments of extra sleep.
At every stop, as I let someone out and forced my way back aboard, I cursed my bad luck. My car had pretty much gone completely wonky and to fix it was far beyond my meager price range. So I was stuck riding the crowded, uncomfortable train until I could save up enough money. With a sigh, I pushed my way farther into the train, ending up several people, but only a few feet, away from the whistler.
I studied him intently, wondering why he could be so upbeat before the sun had even risen. He looked to be in his early thirties, wearing expensively conservative business attire with a strangely out of place brightly multicolored toque with a giant orange pom on top. He was clean-shaven, probably a few inches taller than my six foot, guessing a fit 200 pounds or so. One of those men women gravitated towards. I wondered what was with the crazy toque, and was surprised to find it annoyed me, in a highly irrational sort of way.
Before I could muse any further, the little chime sounded and my stop was announced. Pushing my way off, I felt relief that at least part of my daily ordeal was over. As the train pulled away, I looked over to find him watching me, with a completely neutral look that inexplicably creeped me out. With a shrug, I dismissed it and walked the few short blocks to the construction site I was currently working at. Of course, I cursed the brutal, shrieking wind the whole way.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I didn’t see him again for several weeks, perhaps a month. I recognized him partially from his whistling, this time recognizable as a 60’s song whose name I’ve forgotten, and the same garish toque. He was waiting on the platform, smiling and nodding good morning to cold, half-awake people as they passed. Some people smiled halfheartedly back, while others grunted and kept going, but most just ignored him completely.
          I watched him for most of the ride to work, my overactive imagination in full speculation mode. I found myself wondering what he was like, where he worked, and what his life must be like that he appeared so happy. Of course, this was just idle speculation; there was no way I cared enough to ask. This time, he didn’t appear to notice me. This, I mused, was probably a good thing.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          Again, I didn’t see him for a couple weeks, but this time when I did, his toque was gone, revealing brown hair just beginning to thin. This time, he wasn’t whistling, although still greeting people with a hearty good morning. This was odd enough in the big city, for most people just didn’t seem overly friendly, especially on cold winter mornings. The guy must be crazy or something. By now my idle curiosity was raging; he must have a super good job with high pay, a super hot wife who gave him head whenever he wanted, a nice country club membership, and so on. How amusing, I thought as I forced my way off at my stop. Lucky bastard.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          This time when I saw him, it was only a week or so since the previous sighting. I wondered why I was seeing him more frequently. This particular day, I really couldn’t have cared less, suffering through the aftereffects of a night out hard partying. As I stood there wondering if I should just call in sick, I noticed he had a new toque, this one a rather drab gray and beat up.
          I also noticed, through the haze of the hangover, that he didn’t look quite so chipper. Perhaps if I hadn’t been feeling so rough, I might have been surprised, concerned even. But not today. Just before the train pulled in, I made the decision that I wasn’t going to work and used a nearby payphone to beg off with flu.
          As the train came to a stop, I passed him on my way to the exit and he tentatively mumbled good morning. I nodded back and kept going, watching him over my shoulder as he shuffled on the train. To my surprise, I found myself feeling somewhat sorry for him. He looked rather dejected, something I picked up even through the haze of my hangover.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
          A few days later, it was quite pleasant out, unseasonably warm. I was in a great mood, even given the packed sardine can of a train I faced. I’d also nearly saved enough to be able to fix my car, something which greatly contributed to my peachie mood. So I was standing on the platform with a fool grin on my face, when he shuffled by.
          I say shuffled because it wasn’t the stride of a man who counted pride or happiness among his friends and allies. Indeed, I nearly failed to recognize him. Looking closer at what I’d mistaken for one of the broken down bums who dig in garbage cans around here, I realized it was the whistler.
          He trudged, apparently aimlessly, up and down the platform, looking dejectedly down at the ground. His classy, expensive business attire was gone, replaced by old, worn army pants and a dirty, ragged winter jacket that had definitely seen better centuries. It was so dirty and stained, I wondered if it had been retrieved from the dumpster. Everything in his posture, the look on his face, it all screamed that he had been chewed up and broken.
          The whole while, he seemed to be mumbling to himself under his breath. I found myself wondering if he was ok, but after a moment’s heated internal debate, I decided it really wasn’t any of my business. Who was I, a complete stranger, to interfere in this guy’s life? This kind of made me feel guilty, but I shrugged it off. After all, I had my own life and my own concerns to worry about.
          As I forced my way onto the train, dodging elbows, insisting on a place, I noticed that he too had boarded. I watched the people around him give him a surprising amount of space, as if he were somehow contagious. As if the bum they perceived would somehow infect them with cooties that would make them just like him. Thus, people crowded each other, packed themselves in more tightly, enduring much greater discomfort just to avoid being near him.
          To an extent, this horrified me. This man needed help, needed our compassion. But again, I shrugged this idea of responsibility off. It really wasn’t any of my business, something I kept repeating to myself like some absurd mantra. I needed to get my car fixed, I had a busy social life to consider, forms to fill out for my next courses at the trade school. I didn’t have time to help someone who obviously wouldn’t help themselves. So I kept silent, yet couldn’t prevent myself from watching him.
          He seemed to be still talking to himself. The people around him would occasionally cast furtive glances in his direction, as if to assure themselves he was keeping his distance. Then they would look around, catch someone’s eye and share a secret grin, as if to say I’m glad I’m not him. I’m glad I’m not crazy, like him. He didn’t seem to notice, staring blankly at the chill, bleak landscape as it rushed by.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
          The next time I saw him, turned out to be the last. He looked even worse, his once clear eyes now bloodshot, windows into a tormented soul. He was dressed the same, but his clothes were much more worn, much dirtier. There were several small holes and tears in his army pants, as well as several various colored stains. His jacket, threadbare and grungy already, was even worse now, grey-white insulation hanging like torn tendons from under one arm. On his head perched one of those old hats with the fold down ear flaps. It was so dirty and frayed that I couldn’t really tell what its original color had been. He was standing by the platform exit, and every few minutes he would suddenly violently twitch, like a dog shaking itself dry. After these little incidents, he’d look furtively around, fear and confusion written only too plainly on his face. He was, again, mumbling to himself and his hands, hanging at his sides, had a constant tremor. His boots, without laces and apparently held together by raggedy duct tape, were covered with mud, as were his lower legs.
          When the train pulled in, much to the dismay of other passengers, he forced his way on. With looks of distaste and annoyance, the space cleared was even greater than before. Several people glared at him accusingly, as if his very presence had ruined their day. But he ignored them all, staring intently at the ceiling, mumbling away incoherently.
          As the train pulled away, his head came down and his cloudy eyes met mine. For a second, they cleared and I glimpsed what he had once been. Then he looked away, mumbling louder. I began to force my way through the crowd towards him, surprising myself, for I didn’t know why I was doing this or what I would do if I got to him. I had nearly the length of the car to traverse and people were highly reluctant to make way. I pushed my through, heedless of toes stepped on, moving forcefully through those who refused to move.
Slowly, so slowly, I grew closer, but there was still such a vast gulf. He began to speak, quietly at first, staring at the ceiling, head inclined backward. Gradually, he became louder and louder, his voice clearer, like what it must have been before his misfortune. The people around him began exchanging worried glances, each silently begging someone else to deal with the crazy man.
“What is wrong with all of you?” he suddenly asked, nearly shouting. He looked around with strangely lucid eyes. “You pack yourselves in these cars like cattle. You go off, so many of you, to jobs you hate, marking time till you die. Where is your humanity?”
He gradually became louder still. People looked at each other with embarrassment, as if being embarrassed for him, he who obviously wasn’t at all embarrassed. They looked at each other or at the floor, none meeting his accusing stare. None, save me. He looked at me pleadingly.
“And I, the fallen. Am I no longer good enough?” He gestured to the empty space around him. “For fifteen years, I did this. Rode this same train with many of you, many of the same people. I worked a job at first I loved but began to hate, for all the hypocrisy. I saw millions of dollars wasted, left my office building and saw people homeless and starving on the street. But it didn’t matter, it wouldn’t happen to me. That’s what I THOUGHT! But it DID! It DID happen to ME! But none of you care! Where is your humanity?” He was nearly shouting, becoming more hysterical, gesturing wildly, people shrinking at each swing of his arms.
“But it wasn’t good enough. Not for my wife.” He buried his face in his hands, then looked up at all of us, rage burning in his eyes. “I didn’t make enough money, didn’t belong to the right country club. As if I cared. So she started FUCKING my BOSS! And do you know what happened when I caught them? I got FIRED!”
From the corner of my eye, I saw a woman whispering frantically into the little help box, begging the train operator to summon security. Save us from the non-conformist heretic who got fired. Because you’re something less human if you don’t have a job apparently.
“And you know what happened then?” He was shouting now, as loud as he could, demanding everyone’s attention. “She divorced me. Her lawyers took everything I had. EVERYTHING! Everything I had worked so hard for, for almost twenty years, while she did nothing. My house! My daughter! My car! Even my precious coin collection, the only nice thing that was really mine alone.” Here he paused, interrogating us with his eyes. “How is this just? How is this human? And all of you,” A look of disgust, of condemnation.
“You look at me, in my reduced state, and all you see is another crazy, just another bum. Not a man with two university degrees. Not a fellow human. A BUM!” He spat this last with such venomous disgust that I’m surprised those closest didn’t melt.
The train began slowing and we ground to a stop at the next station. Through the window, I could see a handful of rather burly transit cops ready to haul him off. The cars doors opened and they seized him. For a minute or two, he struggled, managing to free one arm, which he held up as if to ward off blows. But then, quite suddenly, his will to resist evaporated. He went limp, fell silent, a look of horrified defeat on his face. The cops began hauling him off the train, and seeming as one, there came a sigh of relief from the sardine packed humanity. He looked up and caught my eye, and a look of defiance suddenly bubbled up.
“You’re all cattle!” He shrieked, pulling against his captors. “And these are your cattle cars, taking you off to be slaughtered by industrialized corporations. Demand to be treated as human! Dare to be more than a number!”
With that, the doors closed, cutting him off from view. The train pulled out and I strained to get another glimpse of him before the monumentally ugly train station blotted him out forever.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment